I’m a big fan of fruit in salsa. It’s just so fresh and summery and goes AMAZINGLY well with anything grilled. I had planned to make a peach salsa, but couldn’t find any peaches <_< so we went with mango!
Mangos are my favourite fruit so it makes this salsa extra special for me. Feel free to swap whatever fruit or ingredients to make this your own! Pineapple, peaches, black beans, corn. The basic set of ingredients will make anything an awesome salsa!
I chose the tommy atkins mango over ataulfo. American supermarkets generally carry either, if at all. The tommy atkins is the large red and green mango, it’s great for salsa as it’s sweet but also a bit peppery/grassy in flavour, in addition it holds up well to being diced and mixed around. The ataulfo is sweet, creamy and floral, still usable but I’d prefer it as is or in a dessert.
Use whatever mango type you like or can find of course. But personally I’d save the ataulfo for shoveling into your face while standing over the sink until you’re sick of mango (never happen).
If you’re not used to working with mango, or maybe it’s your first time using one here’s a quick video on how to safely cut one.
What you need:
- 2 large tommy atkins mangos, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1 tsp jalapeno, finely minced
- 2 green onions, finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely minced
- zest and juice of one lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place everything into a large bowl and gently mix. Season with salt and pepper to your liking!
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 mins to 2 hrs to allow the flavours to further meld.
Serve with your favourite BBQ chicken, fish, tacos or even just with tortilla chips!