A super simple and fresh potato salad. No mayo so you can easily take this one out for picnics or potlucks without having to worry!
These are not roasted because I like the clean, gentle, sweet taste of the potato to come through, suitable to go along with fresh summer dishes or grilled meats. It also gets better the longer you let it chill, so enjoy this one for a few days (if you can resist!)
These even make weirdly delicious roasted potato or hashbrowns for breakfast a few days later if you’re “over” potato salad by then. Yum!
What you need:
- 1 small bag of baby potatoes (1.5 – 2 lbs)
- 3 slices of thick smoked bacon, cooked and diced/crumbled
- 1 small shallot, julienned
- 2-3 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 3 tbsp grainy mustard
- 3 tbsp honey or agave
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot filled with water, add cleaned potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook until just fork tender, remove and run under cold water until they’re cool enough to handle. Try not to let them get ice cold, they tend to absorb more flavour if they’re still slightly warm!
- Dice potatoes into bite sized pieces either in half or quarters depending on the size of your potato. Add bacon, parsley and shallot.
- Mix together mustard, honey and vinegar and pour over potatoes. Mix until coated and everything is thoroughly distributed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place mixture into fridge and allow the flavours to meld for at least an hour.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy!