This is a simple meal we’ve been enjoying frequently this summer because it’s quick to throw together for lunches or dinner and is refreshing and low effort in the summer heat.
This is not an authentic or traditional recipe, just a version that’s accessible and easy to make wherever you might live.
Feel free to swap out the protein for whatever you’d enjoy best. It’s a great way to use up leftovers and give new life to them! If you’re going full vegetarian, swap the fish sauce for soy in the nuoc cham. It won’t be perfect, but it’ll still give you a sweet-savoury sauce we’re looking for.
You can eat this with warm or cold protein, it’s really up to you!
Makes two large bowls!
What you need:
- 2 servings of rice vermicelli noodles, about 2oz dried
- 2-3 oz protein of your choice
- 1/2 medium carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup cucumber, julienned
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh green onion, minced
- 2-4 tbsp nuoc cham
- lime wedges
(this makes way more than you need so save it!)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup Vietnamese fish sauce
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bird’s eye chili, minced optional
- Combine all ingredients for nuoc cham, let cool and store in a glass container in the fridge.
Prepare the bowls!
- Prepare the rice vermicelli as per package instructions, most just require you to submerge them in just boiling water for 2-3 minutes, strain and rinse to prevent clumping. Set aside.
- You may use whatever protein you like, rotisserie chicken, leftover barbeque, grilled chicken breast, crispy tofu etc. This time I was using pulled pork, so I gave it a quick toss in a hot non-stick pan just to render any fat and crisp it up lightly.
- In a large bowl, divide noodles, carrot, cucumber, herbs and protein. Garnish with lime wedges and serve with nuoc cham drizzled on top.
This also works very well as a packed lunch, just make sure your sauce is in a separate container as the noodles will absorb it all otherwise.
3 thoughts on “Vietnamese Style Rice Vermicelli Bowls”
It looks healthy & delicious!
Love it! Fresh and flavorful.