Simple, elegant, light and endlessly customizable. Not only are these easier to make than regular sushi rolls, they’re also so impressive looking.
Make these vegetarian like I have or choose your own favourite toppings.
I used avocado, cucumber, tamagoyaki (Japanese omelet), sweet potato and nori.
You can use anything you’d like though, sushi fish, smoked salmon, chicken, beef – anything you’d find IN a sushi roll at your favourite place!
This recipe makes about 10-12 individual temari sushi (depending on how you measure them out).
What you need:
- 1/2 cup sushi rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp seasoned sushi vinegar
- Assorted toppings, thinly sliced
- Cook your rice as per package instructions, I always use a ratio of 1:1.5 but do what works best for you!
- Mix in sushi vinegar and let rice cool slightly, not cold but it should be easy to handle and not steaming.
- Place a small square of plastic wrap on your work surface, set your topping in the middle, about a 1″ square of space.
- Place about 1 tbsp of rice in a round on top, gather plastic wrap around and form into a firm ball.
Remove, top with additional garnish if you please and repeat with all of your toppings!
I have an assortment of mini cookie cutters and stamps from making bento boxes which also add to the cuteness. Use your imagination!
Serve with soy sauce for dipping and enjoy!