I’m a terrible person and I almost always buy those frozen turkey patties. They’re cheap, low calorie and zero effort. Even though I have years of experience and can cook almost anything, I’m an extremely lazy cook.
These are fairly low effort for a high pay off and as a lazy person, I absolutely recommend giving these Maple Turkey Breakfast Sausages a go. They’re savoury, a tiny bit sweet and have a bit of kick to them. Make them any size you want, freeze em raw or cooked, or just cave and eat them all like I did.
What you need:
- 1 pound ground turkey (or any ground meat you fancy)
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup (if you can’t get AAA Canadian super syrup use brown sugar over the fake stuff, they wont be maple but they’ll taste good. :P)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (not spicy)
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. This will let the flavours meld and make it a bit easier to handle.
- Divide meat mixture into patties, I made 10 with mine, about 1/2 thick and 2.3 inches wide, but go with what you’d like. Place patties on a parchment lined baking sheet or plate.
- Place patties in fridge or freezer for at least 15 minutes before cooking, ground turkey is a bit hard to handle so once it’s chilled it’s easier to deal with. Alternatively, you can just freeze these as is on the baking sheet, then transfer to a large zip-top bag and cook when you want em!
- In a large non-stick skillet, over medium heat, slowly fry turkey patties until cooked through and golden brown. I emphasize medium heat because maple syrup is VERY easy to burn so be mindful. You may have to periodically clean out your pan with a damp paper towel as you go to remove any charred bits stuck to the pan.
Serve with your favourite breakfast, these go beautifully well in an english muffin style egg sandwich!
3 thoughts on “Maple Turkey Breakfast Sausage”
These sound delicious!
Wonderful! And it’s not like you made them from scratch, using a meat grinder. Great recipe.
LikeLiked by 1 person