Time for a fresh, fast and healthy recipe! Another one of my recent go-tos has been Vietnamese salad rolls. You can put whatever you want into them really, although the traditional ingredients are best (in my ever so humble opinion).
They come together quickly, are low calorie and satisfying! The perfect appetizer or small summer meal.
What you need :
- Vietnamese rice paper wraps
- fresh herbs like cilantro, green onion, Thai basil or even mint.
- julienned veg like carrot, cucumber, bean sprouts
- protein if you wish, chicken, pork, prawns, leftovers etc.
- vermicelli rice noodles
- whatever you damn well like
- Boil some water in your kettle or a pot and pour enough into a shallow dish that is large enough to submerge your rice wraps. Gently dip the rice wrap in the hot water and place on a plate or damp tea towel.
- Begin to build your wrap. Near the bottom third place your meat and veg, being mindful not to over do it. Also be careful of sharp edges of lettuce or any julienned veg, it can poke through and tear the wrapper later on. Gently fold the edges over and then roll up the wrap. Repeat until all done!
It’s as simple as that! They can easily stick to one another so be sure to place them on a large platter or plate separately. You can also wrap them individually in plastic wrap to keep them fresh and refrigerate them for later.
Serve with nuoc cham or your favourite dipping sauce!